Friday, April 24, 2009

Earth Week Activities

This past week was Earth Week. The school must have made a big deal about it, because I had forgotten about it. Hannah and Emma and their friends took it very seriously. Every day they had a different plan about what they could do to help the environment. One day, the neighborhood girls went to the "forest" which is the vacan lot behind our house, and took garbage bags and picked up the garbage in the forest. Another day, they made an egg mulch to put in the garden as compost. Another day, they designed a picture which they wanted to put on a t-shirt. The picture had an earth and talked about helping the environment. I liked the fact that they were so involved in the project, so I wanted to encourage their take charge attitudes. I thought about taking their design to a t-shirt place, but I was at Walmart one day and saw these premade Earth Day shirts were for sale for $4. I thought there was no way I could print their shirts for less than $4, so I bought one for them and all of their girlfriends. Here they are in their cute shirts.
(Sisi, Nelly the dog, Ian, Kami, Hannah, Emma, Brie and Hannah S.)
If you can see, even Ian is wearing an Earth Day shirt, but I bought him a brown one. Also in the picture is our neighbor's puppy, Nelly. Another day, the girls drew 2 posters and hung them on the brick wall near our neighborhood. Here they are in front of one of their posters.



(Lauren, Hannah, Kami, Hannah S. Emma, Ian & Sisi)
I am so proud of the kids, and their initiative to do something that wasn't for school or church, but entirely on their own. They were so happy, and it was fun to help them accomplish their goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment