Friday, May 1, 2009

Wicked!

Last night we went to see the musical "Wicked." It is my favorite broadway musical of all time. I've seen it twice in New York, so when it came to Salt Lake this month, I knew I wanted to go. My wonderful mother-in-law Betty arranged for tickets for the "girls" in the family. So I went with Hannah, my mother-in-law, Jason's two sisters Liz and Angela and my sister-in-law Jessica and her cute daughter Amley. Betty ordered the tickets 8 months ago in a pre-sale through the Salt Lake School District where she works. That was great, because all of the showings sold out in minutes, so it would have been impossible to get tickets later on. I had also bought a ticket for my Emma, thinking she would want to see it again, but like I said in my last post, she is so dedicated about going to bed early, she didn't want to stay up late on a school night to see the show, so we invited our neighbor and friend Hannah S. to go with us.
(Eating dinner before the show - there is our little cousing Grace in the front right who joined us for dinner only, and our 7 month cousin Olivia is in her car seat)
My mother-in-law's birthday was Monday, so she got to pick the restaurant where we ate before the show. She picked her favorite place, the Little America Cafe. There we are eating dinner.
(In front of the Capitol Theater - now you can cute little Olivia)
(Hannah S., cousin Amley and my Hannah outside the theater)
(Hannah S., my Hannah and mother-in-law Betty before the show)
A funny thing happened just before the show started. We were sitting in our seats taking pictures, I knew that you can't take pictures during the performance, but I figured it was ok to take pictures before the show started. In fact I had seen numerous other people taking pictures, so I took the picture you see above, and then I handed the camera to Betty to take a picture of me and the girls. Just as Betty was clicking the button to take the picture, an usher approached Betty and said that picture taking was not allowed. We were so startled and scared that we were in trouble, that right as the picture was being taken, we looked up at the usher and these were the looks on our faces. I think the looks on all of our faces are priceless. Afterwards, we had a good laugh by looking at this silly picture!
("Uh-Oh!")
The show was awesome! It was every bit as good as the performances I saw on Broadway in the Gershwin Theater in New York. In fact, the performance of Galinda the good witch was even better than I remember. It was so much fun, and definitely worth the wait. Even though we missed Emma, it was probably better that she wasn't there. Also, while we were at the Capitol Theater, we saw that the Lion King is coming there in September 2010. I also love The Lion King (although not as much as Wicked). Even though it seems like a long time from now, we all decided that we should do another night out to the theater together.
(Hannah, Hannah S., me and Betty - this time during intermission)

No comments:

Post a Comment